Homemade Puppy Food Recipe
For the love of puppies
Simply Savory Homemade Puppy Food Recipe
Start with this homemade puppy food recipe below, and then you can easily customize it after a few servings, to suit your pup's taste.
Since you can control what we eat (and don't eat) when you make it just for us you'll find that the best food for your puppy is one that you cook up from your own home kitchen. It needn't be elaborate, heck we eat sun dried lizards, so you know we aren't too picky.
What IS important though is the quality of ingredients you choose to put into our homemade dog food. Certainly anything would be an upgrade from commercial puppy food (with all the recalls in the news), but - if you are going to make it, why not make the best puppy food you possibly can!
A simple home made puppy food with sardines will give any pup the energy he needs to romp all day.
(Don't gag... we LOVE sardines!)
If our breath becomes intolerable as we slobber you with kisses, simply offer us a dog treat for dessert.
But really, when we are fed the right foods, our puppy bodies are in perfect balance and you shouldn't notice any adverse side effects. Ah, the joys of being a puppy!
(napping under the couch, playing with our favorite humans, and of course FOOD).
That Perfect Puppy Food Begins With A Basic Home Made Puppy Food Recipe
All it takes is a few minutes to chop the ingredients, and some time in the slow cooker. Powerful omega-3 fatty acids in every bite! Be prepared for puppy happiness :-)
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped zucchini
- 1/2 cup diced apple (no seeds, or core, please)
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken meat, cubed into tiny cubes appropriate for your size puppy
- 1 small can of sardines (like a super food in a can!)
- 2 1/2 cups of uncooked brown rice
- 1/4 cup of olive oil (remember, puppies need their allotment of fats)
- 7 cups of filtered water
Place everything into a slow cooker and cook on high for 6 - 7 hours. You will know it's ready to cool for your puppy when you test to see if the rice is cooked through. HINT: Try substituting other healthy vegetables, such as chopped green beans, peas, plums or even sweet potato every now and then. Choose organic foods whenever possible. Beef or lamb can be switched out for the chicken. Be sure you choose good quality meats that are fresh from the market.
NOTE: This homemade puppy food recipe makes about 10 cups of cooked puppy food. The rice will absorb all the filtered water, and the fruits and vegetables will cook down some.To determine how much to feed your puppy,see our feeding guide here.
Looking for more ways to feed your puppy?
You may want to check out these other puppy food pages...
- Start here with this information about the best puppy food.
- Pups love kibble because dry puppy food helps our teeth feel really good. Here's our pick for the best dry puppy food.
- Simply comparing puppy food.
- Canned and moist is fine, too. Read about canned puppy food here.
- Here's the low down on puppy food brands.
- Large pups are special (they grow into large top dogs!). So feed your large breed puppy exactly what he needs..
- OK, it's time to explore training your puppy (we'll love you for it!) .
- Here it is - the WORST puppy food list!.
You are invited to viewTop Dog Food's Home Page Here
This is by far the best resource for getting your dog started on a raw dog food dietread more
This exclusive ebook is for anyone who loves to bake homemade treats for their doggie (like *you*)read more
There is nothing better than homemade dog food. Serve up some puppy dog stew and and watch us bounce with joy.