Fresh, Raw Dog Food Is Not Just A Treat Anymore
Simple Recipes For A Vegetarian Dog Food Diet!
These vegetarian dog food recipes will have your dog begging for more (but don't be tempted - you must think of her girlish figure :-)
No matter what the reasons are behind your conscious choice of a Vegetarian diet for your dog...
It's always the healthy choice to offer your dog homemade dog food as often as you possibly can. You will find that these homemade dog food recipes are just what your dog is craving.
Making your own dog food may help your dog to overcome many allergies, although you may want to add some commercial kibble (vegetarian, of course), just so your vegetarian dog has enough crunchies to keep their teeth strong.
In a nutshell, as long as you keep a good eye on the protein sources, and limit the starchy carbs, we'll love it that you take the time to cook for us (wag, wag).
Tips On Making Homemade Dog Food Recipes
Making homemade dog food is not really any different than making yourself a good meal.
Some of the top tips on how to make dog food include...
- Use a crock pot to allow the dog food to cook gently while you play with your dog(s).
- Shop often for the best buys - and the freshest ingredients. Take us to the Farmer's Market, we'd love the outing with you!
- We know you are busy, so make large portions that you can freeze for future meals. That means more play time!
Vegetarian Dog Food From Your Home Kitchen
Natural Homemade Dog Food Recipe - Vegetarian
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 cups of slow cooked oatmeal (not the quick cook kind)
- 1 cup of cooked barley
- 2 hardboiled eggs, shelled and diced
- 1/2 cup grated zucchini
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 2 cloves of minced garlic (this may help with fleas, too!)
*Note about garlic and dogs - garlic in reasonable amounts (like you would feed your own family) is perfectly OK. Large (I mean really large - over 5% of the dog's total body weight!) doses of garlic may not be good for some dogs.
NOTE: Greek yogurt or tofu for every serving (1 Tablespoon for a small dog, up to 1/4 cup for large breed dogs)
- Mix together all the above ingredients from brown rice to garlic in a large bowl.
- Portion off for your dog's appetite, and place one serving into your dog's special dish. Freeze or refrigerate remaining portions for another meal time. You can keep this vegetarian dog food recipe refrigerated for up to 2 days.
- Place one portion of the vegetarian dog food recipe in your dog's dish and top with a scoop of greek yogurt or cubed tofu.
Healthy Dog Food Recipe For The Vegetarian Dog
- 1 large potato
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 cup mixed, chopped vegetables (whatever is fresh and in season)
- 1 cup organic low-fat cottage cheese
- 3 Tablespoons of flax seed oil (remember to keep this refrigerated!)
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- Dice the potato, leaving the skin on and boil in just enough water to cover for 15 - 20 minutes over medium heat.
- Cook the lentils as instructed on the package. You can choose to steam the chopped vegetables as the lentils cook by adding them to the lentils for the last 10 minutes of cooking time - or keep them raw.
After cooking, cool all the ingredients down and mix together with the remaining ingredients (cottage cheese, flax oil and garlic).
- Serve one portion at a time, refrigerate any leftovers for up to 2 days.